The property for the first burial was given by J.D. Fuller and wife Gertrude Fuller. The first grave at the cemetery was Mr. Lewis Hunter, he died April 23, 1887. The property was then free to be used for other burials. After donating land for the first burial, J.D. Fuller and wife Gertrude Fuller sold two acres to the already existing cemetery to The United Daughters of the Confederacy, Elkhart Chapter No. 657 in October 1906. It was named "Elkhart Cemetery." The Trustees of the first cemetery were: Mrs. Laura Reagan, Mrs. Jessie Paxton, Mrs. Docia Watkins, Miss Mollie Douthit, and Miss Pauline Buck.

In 1920, land was purchased from Harvey Lee and Reba Loye Howell, forming Howell I and II. Later land was also purchased from J.H. and Annie Cook, Edward and Bertha Sandell, Alice and Randy Spacek, and Andy and Barbara Keeton. These additions made more lots available for sale. In 1962 a group formed the present organization to manage and care for the cememtery. A charter was granted in the same year by the state as a non-profit organization. The name was changed to "Garden of Memories."

lewis hunter redo.
Emma Davis Woodard

In a little area of the cemetery there was a large marker erected January 19, 1959 in honor of Mrs. Emma Davis Woodard, by family and friends, as a tribute of love and appreciation of her interest and devotion to the church and community and her faithful service in maintaining the Garden of Memories Cemetery throughout the years. This park was given to the cemetery in honor of Mrs. Woodard by Mr. and Mrs. H.L. Howell. There was also a picture of Mrs. Woodard on the top of the marker. The picture is no longer there.

Mrs. Emma Davis Woodard kept records of the burials. She & Mrs. Bessie
Pridgen made the first map for the cemetery in 1962. Mr. Ed Lively laid the roads in 1942.

The cemetery was dedicated October 10, 1971 to the memory of Laura Haile Reagan by her daughter and sons: Mary Reagan Mathes, Ernest Parks Reagan, and Jefferson Davis Reagan, for her untiring efforts in founding the Elkhart Cemetery, October 10, 1906.

Over the years land has been purchased to make
this cemetery the size it is today; over 7 acres.

Reagan Memorial Marker

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player